Log in

No account? Create an account
22 December 2008 @ 11:06 am
Change in plans  
Looking at the available information about today's weather, we realized that if we traveled today as planned, we were running a real risk of being re-stranded in Chicago (meaning we'd have to find a place to stay AGAIN, deal with the airlines to reschedule AGAIN, etc.) and even if we can make it to Portland, getting to our house would be extremely difficult. So we have decided to hang out here in Washington DC, at John and Peggy Rae's, until Boxing Day (Friday 12/26). This was the first available direct flight, and perhaps the Snowpocalypse will be over by then. We will be celebrating Christmas with the Sapienza clan.

What a long, strange trip it's been.
Pamcanseefour on December 22nd, 2008 04:43 pm (UTC)
For the first time in over 40 years, ALL of Canada is going to have a white Christmas. There have been several storms in all parts of the country. Our meteorologists and weather forcasters have taken to calling it "Snowmageddon".

What wonderful friends you have to invite you to stay for Christmas - although I'm not surprised.
joycemocha on December 22nd, 2008 04:54 pm (UTC)
Hey, at least you're with friends and not stuck in an airport or a hotel!

I've only met John and Peggy Rae at Denvention but they seemed like good and fun folks. Enjoy your unexpected DC vacation!

(way it's looking now, we're not getting out of PDX on Wednesday)
scarlettina: Snowflake 2scarlettina on December 22nd, 2008 05:27 pm (UTC)
You'll be with friends, and that's a goodness. Please give John and Peggy Rae my best.
Steve Hutchisonfoomf on December 22nd, 2008 06:01 pm (UTC)
Hey, you're in a good place to observe the last WhiteHouse Christmas of George the Third.
Smofbabe: twistplanesmofbabe on December 22nd, 2008 06:32 pm (UTC)
Glad you were able to avoid O'Hare - I didn't want to say anything before but despite it being a United hub, Stephen and I make it a policy *never* to fly through Chicago unless there's absolutely no other choice and have been known to take worse layovers in Denver to avoid it. Sorry you have to be away from home for Christmas but at least you are staying with friends.
karenjunkerkarenjunker on December 22nd, 2008 07:01 pm (UTC)
Glad to hear you have a good plan!

PS, should you ever get stuck in Chicago, we have folks there.
kzmillerkzmiller on December 22nd, 2008 07:56 pm (UTC)
If you have a warm, dry, safe place to be then definitely stick-with. There's no guarantee that you even have power at your house.
Tomvoidampersand on December 22nd, 2008 08:50 pm (UTC)
Staying with John and Peggy Rae seems like a really good idea. The only thing I worry about is that you might find yourselves working on a worldcon. And has your luggage shown up yet?
ladyphyreflyladyphyrefly on December 22nd, 2008 09:27 pm (UTC)
Hi, David!

Glad you guys were able to change your plans; it seems safest/most sensible thing to do all the way around. Cheers for your friends there!

The high of 35 isn't making an appearance, I don't think - it's 1:15 pm, still 25, and the snow has not stopped since yesterday evening. I believe our accumulation is now approximately a foot or more, and it looks like Colorado in the winter of '92 - the year I drove West from Florida!

Glad you are safe, warm and with congenial people .

bjarvisbjarvis on December 23rd, 2008 12:12 am (UTC)
I'm off work until January 5, but we're calling an open house in Baltimore Tuesday departing for Columbus again on Wednesday. Give a buzz if you have time to get together!
timalynetimalyne on December 24th, 2008 11:11 pm (UTC)
Happy Holidays.