Log in

No account? Create an account
28 August 2013 @ 09:04 am
Kidney stone :-(  
I've had better days.

On the treadmill at the gym yesterday morning, after working out with my trainer, I had what I thought was a stitch in my side. But it rapidly got worse -- a LOT worse, to the point that I had to stop and lie down on the floor, and I also had chills and cold sweats, plus I felt like I really needed to urinate but there was nothing coming out. It was bad enough that I went straight from there to the ER (our nearest ER is, as it happens, less than a mile from the gym) without even showering. Kate met me there.

THIS is what all the fuss was about?The doctor, when he saw me, said "You have that kidney stone look. I can diagnose that from twenty feet away." They gave me IV saline and morphine, and the pain declined from a 6 to a 3-4 pretty quickly. By the time they wheeled me down to get a CAT scan it had fallen to a dull ache, and I spent the rest of the afternoon half-dozing in the ER bed. After a couple of hours the CAT scan results came back: it was indeed a kidney stone, about 3mm, and it had already passed into my bladder (that, not the morphine, is why the pain went away so completely). They sent me home with a prescription for oxycodone if I needed it, a little strainer, and instructions to drink a heck of a lot of water and strain my pee for the next 24 hours in hopes of catching the stone. The stone came out in my very first pee and it didn't hurt a bit. I'm going to continue to filter my pee until tomorrow, though, in case there are any other bits to catch.

This all happened instead of a planned lunch date with calendula_witch. I texted her about it as I was waiting for Kate to pick me up outside the ER, and when I said "This too shall pass," she replied "Okay you are feeling fine. ;-)"

So the bottom line is that I'm fine now, if a bit achy and woozy, and clear to travel to Texas. The doctor did see some "nodules" in my lungs on the CAT scan and recommended I see my primary doctor for a more thorough lung screen as soon as I get back, but they are very likely nothing to worry about. I also need to take the kidney stone to a urologist for an analysis -- knowing the stone's composition may help me avoid future such experiences, through changes in diet or some such. (The CAT scan showed a second, smaller stone in the kidney, but it might never cause any problems.)

Whee. Also ow.
Timapparentparadox on August 28th, 2013 04:12 pm (UTC)
Mark had a kidney stone years ago. He said it was the worst pain he had ever felt.
desperance: lukedesperance on August 28th, 2013 05:51 pm (UTC)
Oh, bravo! Kidney stones - like novels, come to think - are absolutely a rite of passage. And now, if you haven't already, hie thee and read descriptions of a man being cut for the stone in the eighteenth century (Neal Stephenson is good in The Baroque Cycle, if you can't be bothered to hunt down original sources) and be very, very grateful...
martianmooncrabmartianmooncrab on August 28th, 2013 06:07 pm (UTC)
glad that it passed quickly...
A Wandering Hobbitredbird on August 28th, 2013 06:09 pm (UTC)
My sympathy, and I am glad it passed quickly and you are clear to travel.
Twilight: Dariatwilight2000 on August 28th, 2013 06:14 pm (UTC)
billeylerbilleyler on August 28th, 2013 09:37 pm (UTC)
Amazing that you got rid of that so fast! Cheers! Not an experience you wanted, but hopefully it's over.

I was just talking to a woman out our 3CA teach week who had one for FOUR MONTHS. She was wrecked, from what I understand.
David D. Levinedavidlevine on August 28th, 2013 10:25 pm (UTC)
I can't imagine that! Experiencing that kind of pain for four months would destroy a person's brain.
billeylerbilleyler on August 29th, 2013 12:40 am (UTC)
I think it did. That and five days of a C3A teach-from-zero academy.
Brent Kellmerskaldic on August 28th, 2013 10:20 pm (UTC)
My sympathies -- I've had several and the first one felt like someone was stabbing me in the side. If my father hadn't had one 6 weeks before and told me about it, I would have thought I was dying. Thankfully the ones since then have been far less painful.
Allanallanh on August 29th, 2013 07:33 am (UTC)
Some time in person--NOT here, which tells you just how odd of a story it is--please remind me to tell you of my one and only kidney stone.

Even for me, it's an embarrassing story.
et in Arcadia egobooapostle_of_eris on August 31st, 2013 04:02 am (UTC)
that kidney stone look
janeehawkinsjaneehawkins on September 3rd, 2013 04:13 am (UTC)
I'm SO glad for you that they recognized your problem quickly and gave you good drugs. I've been made to wait up to three hours in an ER for pain relief.

One time a nurse who had just seen my scan teared up as she abjectly apologized to me for an hour's delay. I couldn't say a word to her. I recognized that she was totally sincere so I didn't want to be nasty. However, I did not have it in me to say anything like, "That's OK," because it wasn't.

Most likely that little remaining one will never give you trouble. It'll pass some day and you'll won't even notice. :-)